Saturday, October 24, 2020

Manchester United star Fred reveals the secrets behind how he improved between his first and second season at Old Trafford

If there was a Premier League most improved player award, Fred would’ve been a leading candidate for the prize last season.

His first term at Manchester United was at times painful to watch as he looked out of his depth in the Premier League.

Fred looked lost in 2018/19, his first season at Man United

getty

Fred looked lost in 2018/19, his first season at Man United

But fast-forward a few months and the Brazilian was a new man last season, particularly impressing in a victory at Manchester City in December 2019.

But how did his fortunes change? Fred exclusively revealed to talkSPORT the secrets behind the contrast in his success between seasons one and two at Old Trafford.

“I’m really happy with the two years I’ve spent here,” Fred said.

“Primarily it’s an honour to represent this great club, all players dream of playing for this team and I’m happy to be a part of Manchester United’s history.

Fred showed why United spent £47million on him in the summer of 2018 last term

Getty Images - Getty

Fred showed why United spent £47million on him in the summer of 2018 last term

“I hope to stay here for a very, very long time and I hope not just to bring joy to myself but to all the Manchester United fans.

“The first season was difficult for me, it was the process of settling in. It was a new league, I didn’t have much help, it was complicated for me.

“Coming into the second season I understood the game we played and the Premier League better. I understood what I had to do and do more of. I also felt more relaxed because my son was born and my situation at home relaxed. The difference was that I had settled both on and off the pitch.”

However, the arrival of Bruno Fernandes in January as well as Donny van de Beek this summer has seen competition for places in United’s midfield intensify hugely.

Fred relishes being in competition with the likes of Fernandes, however

Fred relishes being in competition with the likes of Fernandes, however

But Fred is able to look beyond the frustrations of struggling to get in the team.

“It’s great having these excellent players alongside you, it’s important in giving you confidence,” he added.

“The arrival of these players have been very important as we need to have a strong squad. You look at the run of fixtures ahead of us, having all these players is going to be very important.”

Perry Groves admires Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for defending Mason Greenwood amid disciplinary reports

Listen to full commentary of Manchester United vs Chelsea LIVE on talkSPORT on Saturday, kick-off 5:30pm



from Football - news, transfers, fixtures, scores, pictures https://ift.tt/3maaD1M
via IFTTT

No Comment