Sunday, June 27, 2021

Luke Shaw hits out at Jose Mourinho following talkSPORT comments as England star urges his former Manchester United manager to ‘move on’ and ‘stop worrying about me’

Luke Shaw has told Jose Mourinho to ‘move on’ as he accused his former Manchester United boss of being obsessed with him.

The England full-back had a difficult relationship with Mourinho during their time together at Old Trafford and has taken offence to recent comments made by the Portuguese manager on talkSPORT.

Mourinho had an uneasy relationship with Shaw at Man United

GETTY

Mourinho had an uneasy relationship with Shaw at Man United

Mourinho, who is part of our expert punditry team for Euro 2020, criticised Shaw’s set-piece taking following England’s win over the Czech Republic.

He also previously backed Chelsea’s Ben Chilwell to start over Shaw in the Three Lions’ opening game of the tournament.

Asked about Mourinho’s remarks about him, Shaw was scathing in his response: “There is no hiding that we didn’t get on. It is time to move on. I am trying to move on but, obviously, he can’t.

“Hopefully he can find his peace with that and finally move on and stop worrying about me. Clearly I am in his head a lot and he clearly thinks about me a lot.

“I don’t really understand it, to be honest. I don’t know why he is still going on and wanting to point at me. I don’t feel like the set pieces were as bad as he was saying.

“I might have done one in the second half, a corner that didn’t get over the first man. But that was one out of three. The other two or three, I don’t think, were as ‘dramatically bad’ as he says. Look, he has got to do his job. He has got his opinion.

“I am used to him saying negative stuff about me now, so I just pass it by. I leave it be, I ignore it. I just focus on what the coaching staff say here, what Gareth [Southgate] says and that’s that, really.”

Mourinho has spoken about Shaw on talkSPORT in recent weeks

talkSPORT

Mourinho has spoken about Shaw on talkSPORT in recent weeks

Shaw is not happy with some of the things Mourinho has said about him

GETTY

Shaw is not happy with some of the things Mourinho has said about him

Mourinho was regularly critical of Shaw in public during his reign at Manchester United, once declaring he must ‘change his football brain’.

The serial-winning manager also told talkSPORT recently Shaw was not ready to work with him at United, although he did praise his overall performance against the Czech Republic in England’s final group game.

Shaw, 25, says his England teammates have asked why Mourinho appears to have a problem with him and suggested he has a ‘personal agenda’ against him.

“He is different with different players. He likes some, he doesn’t like others,” he claimed.

“I think I fell into the category where he didn’t like me. I tried as hard as I could to get back on to his good side but it never worked out, no matter what I did.

“He continuously talks about me, which I find quite strange. Even some of the lads have said ‘what’s his problem?’ And ‘why does he keep talking?’ He just needs to move on. He likes to talk a lot about me, as everyone has seen. 

“I don’t think any of you realise the two or three years I had with him and how bad it was then, what it was like then.

“What he says now is nothing compared to how it used to be. I am being honest. I am so past it now. I have grown up a lot. The three years I had with him, I learnt a lot.

“I find it easy to ignore him now and even laugh about it. But it’s better just to ignore it.”

What Mourinho said after England's win over the Czechs

Here's Jose Mourinho's comments in full to talkSPORT...

“The negative thing I would say is once more they were very poor on attacking corners.

“The service was dramatically bad. They have so many good players to attack corners. The crosses are not passing the first man.

“Luke Shaw, in my opinion, very good tonight but very poor on the corner. [Kalvin] Phillips, the same.

“England has great power at this level and going to knockouts, one corner can decide a game.”

Shaw has thrived at United since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer succeeded Mourinho and is now in line to start for England against Germany in the last 16 of Euro 2020 at Wembley on Tuesday.

“It [Mourinho’s criticisms] can have an effect and the way he was with me … that was him and he had his personal agenda,” Shaw continued.

“But everyone I had around me at the club was fully with me 100%, so whatever went on between me and him was our own thing.

“Around the club … they all supported me fully. So I felt the backing from the club. Not the manager at that point but I knew, if time came in, I would be able to outlast him and I have and I can just focus on getting better and improving.”

England vs Germany is LIVE on talkSPORT on Tuesday (kick-off 5pm), with Jose Mourinho part of our punditry team



from Football - news, transfers, fixtures, scores, pictures https://ift.tt/3w0eHGm
via IFTTT

No Comment