Friday, May 14, 2021

Scott Carson mobbed by Man City teammates after saving Newcastle penalty in surprise debut for club in seven-goal thriller

After nearly two years at Man City, Scott Carson made his first appearance for the Premier League club and it was certainly a memorable on.

The veteran goalkeeper has been on loan from Derby County as a third choice behind Ederson and Zack Steffen.

Scott Carson was handed a surprise debut for Man City against Newcastle

Getty

Scott Carson was handed a surprise debut for Man City against Newcastle

Pep Guardiola has been known to rotate his squad regularly, particularly with a hectic fixture schedule.

The 35-year-old stopper started somewhat surprisingly against Newcastle United on Friday night.

City have already been named as Premier League champions, with Guardiola perhaps wanting to give Carson an appearance and also give Ederson a well-deserved rest.

It was quite the memorable encounter as he conceded three goals as City won 4-3, but he was hardly at fault.

Carson was making his first Premier League appearance for a decade and got a guard of honour

AFP

Carson was making his first Premier League appearance for a decade and got a guard of honour

His side did him no favours as they conceded two penalties, and he saved one before Joe Willock scored the rebound.

After the final whistle, he was mobbed by his City teammates and is clearly a popular member of the squad.

Before the game, Carson told Sky Sports: “I’m over the moon to get a chance to play. There was a chance I could have played last season by Eddy (Ederson) was going for the golden glove.

Carson’s last Premier League appearance was back in 2011

Getty

Carson’s last Premier League appearance was back in 2011

“I think Norwich scored and then VAR ruled it offside. I was just getting my shin pads on.

“The goalkeeping coach told me yesterday, I’m delighted and I thought my Premier League days were over.

“I’ve never given up and I’ve got a chance tonight.

“I was surprised, but since I’ve been here I’ve tried to work as hard as I can and be there if needed. 

“Thankfully the manager has seen that and given me a game tonight.”

Carson’s last Premier League appearance came back in 2011 while playing for West Brom.

The 3645 days between Premier League appearances is the longest for any goalkeeper in the history of the competition.

He has made 520 career appearances in a career that started at Leeds and took him to Liverpool, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa, West Brom, Bursaspor, Wigan and Derby.



from Football - news, transfers, fixtures, scores, pictures https://ift.tt/2RYD1tJ
via IFTTT

No Comment